Speeding Up Your PHP Web Site
In this article we have looked at a few basic techniques for improving the performance of your web site.
First we looked at several browser-based tools, including Page Speed, Yslow and Smush.it. Next I briefly discussed using a Content Delivery Network for serving static web site content.
Finally, I showed you how to automatically compress returned content either by using Apache's mod_deflate module or PHP's gzencode() function.
The great thing about the ideas mentioned in this article is that you can immediately see the improvement from implementing them, since you will receive higher scores in Page Speed and Yslow, and you will notice how much faster your pages load!
- PhpRiot articles about Zend_Service_Amazon_S3 and Zend_Cache
- Beyond Gzipping (Tony Gentilcore, Google)
- Exception Performance (Yahoo! Developer Network)
- Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site (Yahoo! Developer Network)
- Using Site Speed in Search Engine Ranking (Google Webmaster Central Blog)
- Download a PDF version of this article
- Put your PHP knowledge to the test with our online and iPad/iPhone quizzes
- View or post comments for this article
- Browse similar articles by tag: Amazon, Google, Page Speed, PHP, Yslow, yuicompressor